Treating yourself to some cookies from time to time definitely makes your life that little bit sweeter, doesn’t it? We all need a litte sugar every now and then, but we try not to eat a lot of it because we know it isn’t really healthy. However, you can make cookies yourself so that you know exactly what ingredients you are using.
Making your own shortbread means you will eat healthier treats and you will also spend less money. If you want to save money but still have some sweet treats from time to time, keep on reading this piece because I am going to tell you the steps you must follow to make your own shortbread.
First of all, let me list all the ingredients you are going to need:
1. Two cups of butter.
2. Two cups of sifted flour.
3. One cup of rice flour.
4. One cup of powdered sugar.
5. A pinch of salt.
Now let’s take a look at the steps you must follow to make your own shortbread:
1. Take a baking tray and grease it with some butter while preheating the oven to about 200ºC.
2. Put all the ingredients I previously listed into a mixing bowl. You are going to have to cut the butter into smaller pieces with the help of a knife. Start mixing all the ingredients with your hands.
3. Now that the butter has been cut into smaller pieces, use your hands to mix it with the rest of the ingredients and make sure it blends completely with them.
4. Once all the ingredients have been mixed properly for long enough, you should have a dough between your hands. Make sure it’s dry and very manageable. Give it an oval shape and place it on a clean surface that has previously been covered with some flour.
5. Grab a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough. Make sure the thickness of the dough is about as thick as a common cookie.
6. It’s time to cut the dough to create your cookies. You can either cut the dough yourself the shape you want or use some cookie cutters with various shapes to create your cookies.
7. Now that you have cut the dough up, place all the cookies on a baking tray and put it in the oven that has been preheating for a while.
8. You should cook the cookies for about fifteen minutes, but you can check them every now and then to make sure they don’t get burnt. As soon as you see they all have turned golden, you can choose to take them out.
9. Your cookies are done. If you want to store them for a few days, the best thing you can do is to put them all in an airtight tub so that they won’t go stale.
These are all the steps you have to follow to make your own shortbread. Not only is it really easy to make, it’s also a much healthier option to buying it at the supermarket and it will help you save some money because the ingredients you need to make it are very inexpensive.
See also: How to make your homemade shampoo.